The Key Processing Facility is a KMI component that performs one or more of the following functions:
• Acquisition or generation of public key certificates,
• Initial generation and distribution of keying material,
• Maintenance of a database that maps user entities to an organization’s certificate/key structure,
• Maintenance and distribution of nodal key compromise lists and/or certificate revocation lists, and
• Generation of audit requests and the processing audit responses as necessary for the prevention of undetected compromises.
NIST SP 800-57 Part 2 under Key processing facility