FISSEA, founded in 1987, is an organization run by and for information security professionals to Assist Federal Agencies in Strengthening Their Employee Security Training and Awareness Programs. FISSEA conducts an annual fee-based conference and has a “FISSEA Community of Interest” on GovLoop to pose questions and receive feedback from colleagues.
Federal Information Systems Security Educators’ Association (FISSEA)
31st Annual Conference
Hardening the Human: The Power of Cybersecurity Awareness and Training
March 14-15, 2018
2018 Conference Agenda.
2018 Conference Presentations and Keynote Videos are available here.
2017 FISSEA Educator of the Year Presented to Mike Petock
Prof. Sushil Jajodia, 2016 FISSEA Educator of the Year, presented the 2017 FISSEA Educator of the Year award to Michael Petock, All Native Group (ANG), on March 14, 2018. The FISSEA Educator of the Year award recognizes an individual who has made significant contributions in education and training programs for information systems security.
His nomination letter stated in part, Mike Petock has provided exceptional subject matter expert (SME) support for the design, development and maintenance of several role-based training courses supporting the Department of State’s information assurance (IA) training program. Implementing his vision in concert with customer feedback, he oversees, and completed revisions to six of the Department’s core courses to include Cybersecurity Foundations for ISSOs, Cybersecurity Foundations for System Administrators, IA for Managers, IA for System Owners, IA for Executives and Software Assurance for Developers. Mike readily displays a panoply of cybersecurity knowledge, an understanding of the requirement to remain proficient in this field, and intuitive leadership skills valued by and implemented by team members. Please see the complete nomination letter here.
Contest Winners for 2018:
Gretchen Morris, Contest Coordinator, reported there were a total of 42 entries: 15 Posters, 4 Websites, 5 Motivational Items, 6 Newsletters, 6 Training Scenarios, and 6 Videos. See all entries for the Security Contest here.
Winners (selected by impartial judging committee prior to conference):
- Poster: Office of Information Technology: Indian Health Service
- Website: Emile Walker; US Postal Service Corporate Information Security Office (USPS CISO)
- Motivational Item: K Rudolph, Niomi Rosenberg, Amira Armond, G. Mark Hardy, Bryan Walthall; Organization: Native Intelligence, Inc.
- Newsletter: Robert Cunningham; Department of Veterans Affairs
- Security Training Scenarios: Deborah Coleman; U.S. Department of Education
- Video: Emile Walker; US Postal Service Corporate Information Security Office (USPS CISO)
- Poster: Angela DeSarro; Department of Veterans Affairs, IT Workforce Development
- Website: Katherine Martini; Department of State
- Motivational Item: Emile Walker; US Postal Service Corporate Information Security Office (USPS CISO)
- Newsletter: Office of Information Technology: Indian Health Service
- Security Training Scenarios: Katherine Martini; Department of State
- Video: Angela DeSarro; Department of Veterans Affairs, IT Workforce Development