Date Published: November 2018
Comments Due: February 18, 2019 (public comment period is CLOSED)
Email Questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Planning Note (1/28/2019):
The comment closing date has been extended to February 18, 2019 (originally Jan. 21st).
Elaine Barker (NIST), William Barker (Dakota Consulting)
NIST invites public comments on this second draft of Special Publication (SP) 800-57 Part 2 Rev. 1, Recommendation for Key Management Part 2: Best Practices for Key Management Organizations. Part 2 provides guidance when using the cryptographic features of current systems. This revision:
- identifies the concepts, functions and elements common to effective systems for the management of symmetric and asymmetric keys;
- identifies the security planning requirements and documentation necessary for effective institutional key management;
- describes key management specification requirements;
- describes cryptographic key management policy documentation that is needed by organizations that use cryptography; and
- describes key management practice statement requirements.
Keywords authentication; authorization; availability; backup; certification authority; compromise; confidentiality; cryptographic key; cryptographic module; digital signatures; encryption; integrity; inventory management; key information; key management; cryptographic key management policy; key recovery; private key; public key; public key infrastructure; security plan; symmetric key
Audit and Accountability;
System and Communications Protection;
System and Information Integrity;