NIST announces the release of the Final Draft of Special Publication 800-171A,Assessing Security Requirements for Controlled Unclassified Information. This publication is intended to help organizations develop assessment plans and conduct efficient, effective, and cost-effective assessments of the security requirements in NIST Special Publication 800-171, Protecting Controlled Unclassified Information is Nonfederal Systems and Organizations.
This objective is accomplished by:
- Providing flexible and tailorable assessment procedures for CUI security requirements;
- Defining assessment objectives to help guide and inform assessments of CUI security requirements;
- Specifying assessment methods that can be used to generate evidence and produce findings and results;
- Describing a set of assessment objects to which the methods can be applied;
- Facilitating different levels of assurance in security assessments by varying the scope and rigor of the assessment through selectable depth and coverage attributes; and
- Providing additional discussion to explain and interpret the CUI security requirements.
Your feedback on this final draft publication is important to us. We appreciate each contribution from our reviewers. The comments we receive from the public and private sectors, nationally and internationally, continue to help shape the final publication to ensure that it meets the needs and expectations of our customers.
The comment period for the Final Draft of Special Publication 800-171A is February 20, 2018 through March 23, 2018.
Please submit comments using the Comment Template (the link is provided in the link to the SP 800-171A link from above) to: