Date Published: February 2018
Email Questions to:
Withdrawn: June 13, 2018
Planning Note (3/6/2018):
Documentation > Supplemental Material > CUI SSP template:
** There is no prescribed format or specified level of detail for system security plans. However, organizations ensure that the required information in [SP 800-171 Requirement] 3.12.4 is conveyed in those plans.
NIST is posting the Final Draft of Special Publication 800-171A, Assessing Security Requirements for Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI). This publication is intended to help organizations develop assessment plans and conduct efficient, effective, and cost-effective assessments of the security requirements in NIST Special Publication 800-171, Protecting Controlled Unclassified Information in Nonfederal Systems and Organizations.
This objective is accomplished by:
- Providing flexible and tailorable assessment procedures for the CUI security requirements;
- Defining assessment objectives to help guide and inform assessments of CUI security requirements;
- Specifying assessment methods that can be used to generate evidence and produce findings and results;
- Describing a set of assessment objects to which the methods can be applied;
- Facilitating different levels of assurance in security assessments by varying the scope and rigor of the assessment through selectable depth and coverage attributes; and
- Providing additional discussion to explain and interpret the CUI security requirements.
Your feedback on this draft publication is important to us. We appreciate each contribution from our reviewers. The comments we receive from the public and private sectors, nationally and internationally, continue to help shape the final publication to ensure that it meets the needs and expectations of our customers.
Please submit comments using the provided comment template.
Keywords assessment; assessment method; assessment object; assessment procedure; assurance; basic security requirement; Controlled Unclassified Information; coverage; CUI Registry; depth; derived security requirement; Executive Order 13556; FISMA; NIST Special Publication 800-53; nonfederal organization; nonfederal system; security assessment; security control