Date Published: May 2018
Email Questions to:
Planning Note (05/25/2018):
See the current publishing schedule.
This update to NIST Special Publication 800-37 (Revision 2) responds to the call by the Defense Science Board, Executive Order 13800, and OMB Memorandum M-17-25 to develop the next-generation Risk Management Framework (RMF) for information systems, organizations, and individuals.
There are seven major objectives for this update:
- Provide closer linkage and communication between the risk management processes and activities at the C-suite or governance level of the organization and the individuals, processes, and activities at the system and operational level of the organization;
- Institutionalize critical organization-wide risk management preparatory activities to facilitate a more effective, efficient, and cost-effective execution of the RMF;
- Demonstrate how the Cybersecurity Framework can be aligned with the RMF and implemented using established NIST risk management processes;
- Integrate privacy risk management concepts and principles into the RMF and support the use of the consolidated security and privacy control catalog in NIST Special Publication 800-53 Revision 5;
- Promote the development of trustworthy secure software and systems by aligning life cycle-based systems engineering processes in NIST Special Publication 800-160 with the steps in the RMF;
- Integrate supply chain risk management (SCRM) concepts into the RMF to protect against untrustworthy suppliers, insertion of counterfeits, tampering, unauthorized production, theft, insertion of malicious code, and poor manufacturing and development practices throughout the SDLC; and
- Provide an alternative organization-generated control selection approach to complement the traditional baseline control selection approach.
A public comment period for this draft document is open until June 22, 2018.
assess; authorization to operate; common control authorization; authorization to use; authorizing official; categorize; common control; common control provider; continuous monitoring; control baseline; hybrid control; information owner or steward; monitor; ongoing authorization; plan of action and milestones; privacy assessment report; privacy control; privacy plan; privacy risk; profile; risk assessment; risk executive function; risk management; risk management framework; security assessment report; security control; security plan; security risk; senior agency official for privacy; senior agency information security officer; senior agency official for privacy; supply chain risk management; system development life cycle; system owner; system privacy officer; system security officer
Assessment, Authorization and Monitoring; Configuration Management; Planning; Program Management; Risk Assessment