Forum Membership and Email Listserv Information
The Federal Computer Security Managers' Forum (FCSM) is an informal group sponsored by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) to promote the sharing of information system security information among US federal agencies. The Forum maintains an extensive email list and holds multiple meetings to discuss current issues and items of interest to those responsible for protecting non-national security systems. Victoria Pillitteri and Jody Jacobs serve as co-chairs. NIST also serves as the secretariat of the Forum, providing necessary administrative and logistical support.
Participation in the Forum list serve is limited to US federal, state, and local government and higher education employees who participate in the management of their organization's computer security program and have a .gov, .mil, or .edu email address. Exceptions for designated contractors serving in higher positions such as ISSOs or CISOs have been made as long as they have a .gov or .mil email address.
Users will need to join the forum via one of the below websites. Please sign up using your .gov, .mil, or .edu email address. Requests from personal email addresses will not be approved.
A moderator will approve your membership to the forum:
You will now be able to review archives of the FCSM email list if you have a Google account. Google accounts are only needed to read the mail archives, you can still send and receive emails from the FCSM listserv without a Google account.
To get a Google account affiliated with your .gov, .mil, and/or .edu email, please see: https://accounts.google.com/SignUpWithoutGmail
Contractors supporting US federal, state, and local government employees are invited to attend Forum meetings. There are no membership dues for meetings or the email listserv.
Migration to Google Groups
NIST transitioned to Google Groups from mailman in March 2018. There are many reasons to transition to Google Groups including stability, access to archives, ability to control email delivery options (e.g., daily digest, one-by-one, online only). Review the presentations on the Google Groups Migration and FAQ's below.
Google Groups NIST Migration FAQ
FCSM Google Groups Intro and Migration Plans
Procedural Instructions for Use of Forum Mail List:
- Use the list server to share information and ask questions. Be aware that all list members receive an email anytime a message is sent to email@example.com. PLEASE DO NOT ATTACH ZIP FILES NOR FILES LARGER THAN 5MB. Many email systems are not equipped to handle large data downloads. We suggest that any such items be made available 'upon request' so that individual members can decide if their systems have the capability to accept them. Don’t send to firstname.lastname@example.org. There are approximately 1,200 federal members on the mailing list. See number 6 for how to be removed from the list.
- Members can post any response to questions to the list server with the knowledge that all members on the list will receive that response posted. Therefore, each individual does not have to send out another email asking to be included in a specific response.
- Please do not send out email to the list that contain your personal comments such as “I concur, thank-you,” etc. These types of replies/comments can be sent directly to the individual that posted the message originally. Do not automatically click the reply icon on the incoming message, as the entire forum list will receive your personal message.
- NIST reserves the right to unsubscribe those members who do not comply with the intent of the service that NIST has provided for the Forums’ use.
- From time to time, there may be some 'hiccup' in the communications between your system and NIST's system causing some email addresses to be dropped. If you notice that you have not received any forum email traffic after a reasonable period of time, please notify email@example.com so that we can verify that your email address is still active on the NIST server.
- Members are responsible for notifying NIST if their email address has changed. Please use firstname.lastname@example.org to request list changes rather than sending to the entire list. NIST WILL AUTOMATICALLY REMOVE ANY EMAIL ADDRESS THAT CONTINUES TO BE UNDELIVERABLE AFTER SEVEN DAYS. Users should unsubscribe themselves via the Google Group URL https://groups.google.com/a/list.nist.gov/forum/#!forum/FCSM