Forum Membership and Email Listserv Information
The Federal Computer Security Managers (FCSM) Forum is an informal group sponsored by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) to promote the sharing of system security information among US federal agencies. The FCSM maintains an extensive email list and holds quarterly meetings to discuss current issues and items of interest to those responsible for protecting their organizations' systems. There are no membership dues for meetings or the email listserv.
Jody Jacobs serves as FCSM Chair; Jeff Brewer of NIST serves as the secretariat of the FCSM, providing necessary administrative and logistical support.
Please see the CSRC Events Page for upcoming FCSM meetings and registration information. Staff supporting information security programs at US federal, state, and local government employees and US higher education institutions are welcome to attend. Contractors supporting US federal, state, and local government employees are also invited to attend Forum meetings.
FCSM Email Listserv
Participation in the FCSM listserv is limited to US federal, state, and local government, and higher education employees who participate in the management of their organization's information security program and have a .gov, .mil, or .edu email address. Designated support contractors may also join the FCSM using a .gov or .mil email address.
To join the FCSM Email Listserv, please request to subscribe at: https://groups.google.com/a/list.nist.gov/forum/#!forum/FCSM. Please sign up using your .gov, .mil, or .edu email address. Requests from personal email addresses will not be approved. A moderator will approve your membership to the forum.
By subscribing through Google Groups, users are able to review archives of the FCSM email list if you have a Google account affiliated with your .gov, .mil, or .edu email. Google accounts are only needed to read the mail archives, users can still send and receive emails from the FCSM listserv without a Google account.
To get a Google account affiliated with your .gov, .mil, and/or .edu email, please see: https://accounts.google.com/SignUpWithoutGmail
Procedural Instructions for Use of Forum Mail List:
- Use the listserv to share information and ask questions. Be aware that all list members receive an email anytime a message is sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. There are approximately 1,300 members on the mailing list. See number 6 for how to be removed from the list.
- PLEASE DO NOT ATTACH ZIP FILES NOR FILES LARGER THAN 5MB. Many email systems are not equipped to handle large data downloads. We suggest that any such items be made available 'upon request' so that individual members can decide if their systems have the capability to accept them.
- Members can post any response to questions to the listserv with the knowledge that all members on the list will receive the response posted. Therefore, each individual does not have to send out another email asking to be included in a specific response.
- Please do not send out email to the list that contain your personal comments such as “I concur, thank-you,” etc. These types of replies/comments can be sent directly to the individual that posted the message originally.
- NIST reserves the right to unsubscribe those members who do not comply with the intent of the service that NIST has provided for FCSM use.
- Users can now manage their own email settings, including updating email addresses, email delivery settings, and unsubscribe themselves via the Google Group URL https://groups.google.com/a/list.nist.gov/forum/#!forum/FCSM
Migration to Google Groups
NIST transitioned to Google Groups in March 2018. Google Groups offers improved email delivery, access to archives, and the ability to control email delivery options (e.g., daily digest, one-by-one, online only).
For additional information about the Google Groups Migration and FAQs, please see below.
Google Groups NIST Migration FAQ
FCSM Google Groups Intro and Migration Plans